Saturday, February 2, 2013

Groundhog Day!

Happy Groundhog Day! This morning at 7:28 am EST, Punxsutawney Phil was awakened, and he did not see his shadow. That means that we will have an early spring! I don't find that hard to believe, though; the complete opposite of last week, this week has been warm and wet! All the snow melted, and we got rain! Since it was so warm and sunny, I went outside to play and get a dose of vitamin D.

When I got outside, I noticed there were a ton of sticks and branches in the backyard. It's been really windy these past few days, so that's probably why. I decided to build a fairy house!

I surveyed the yard, and found a suitable place at the base of a large oak tree.

I cleared out the little crevasse so that it was clear of little pieces of leaves and sticks and grass.

I then got to work breaking the sticks to the right lengths for the house.

I placed two sticks in a framework so that I had something to build the house around.

Here's the little scaffold.

Next, I gathered pieces of bark for the roof.

I laid the pieces of bark onto the top of the scaffold like shingles.

I then put more sticks on the outside for walls, and finished off the roof by putting down some leaves. 

Once the house was done, I deemed it best to go inside. It was getting chilly, and the sun was going down. 
I love going outside! It makes me sad that we don't have snow anymore...it's only February! I'm not quite ready for spring yet! What about you? Are you excited for spring? Do you still have snow?
This has been Dani, dabbling in groundhog predictions and fairy carpentry. Over and out!



2 comments:

  1. Salut, Dani!
    Fun fact: the French word for "groundhog" is "marmotte".
    I definitely hope that spring gets her soon. We haven't had much snow this winter, which in my opinion, is a very, very, very good thing. :)
    Bisous,
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sabine!
    I never take Punxsutawney Phil too seriously. Yesterday, we got nearly two feet of snow! So much for an early spring! That's fine by me, though; in my opinion, February is way too early for spring to start. I really like snow. I always figure if it's going to be cold, why not have a little snow, too? :)

    ReplyDelete