Saturday, July 6, 2013

Maine Audubon!

Hi guys! It's been so hot and humid these last few days. Today, we got up early, and went to the Maine Audubon before it got really hot.

We trekked out to a field, where there were birds swooping all around.

We walked along a little trail, until we got really close to the water. 

It was so hot, I decided to dip my toes in a little. The water was so cool, and felt so good! I wanted to go swimming, but I didn't have my swimsuit with me. Plus, I'm not entirely sure you're allowed to swim there.

We continued on our way along the trails, stopping every so often to take in the scenery and look at the birds.

Look at these pretty flowers that were in one of the fields! They look a little like the ones I saw with Saoirse in that garden the other day.

We came to this cute little bridge over a swampy area. I was looking over the edge when I heard some rustling in the bushes up ahead.

There was a turkey, only a few feet ahead of me! She had five or six little baby turkeys, too! They were making little noises, and were positively adorable. I couldn't quite get a clear picture of them, though, because I think the zoom on my camera is broken. 

We finished walking on the trails, because we were getting really hot. We went inside the building by the parking lot, which had a little gift shop and activity area.  

I stood up against the wall to see which animal I was closest in height to. It looks like I'm almost exactly the same height as that giant rabbit! (Rodents of unusual size, anyone?)

There was also a tank with this lovely painted turtle in it. I didn't get to touch it, though.

There was this old crusty snapping turtle next to the tank, though. You were allowed to touch that. (It was dead and preserved, of course, so I didn't have to worry about it snapping at me.)

There was a big cupboard looking thing in one side of the room, so I went over to investigate that. I slowly opened the door and saw that it was full of...

...Honey bees! Of course, there was a glass window so they wouldn't fly inside, but it was a little creepy, and cool at the same time!

There was a little tube leading from the hive inside to the great outdoors, so they could fly around and gather nectar and pollen.

After we were done at the Audubon, we went to a pizza place for lunch. It was fun watching the birds and wildlife! I wish it wasn't so hot. Then maybe we could have stayed a little longer! I guess the heat beats rain, though. What have you been up to? Do you like watching birds?
This has been Dani, dabbling at the Maine Audubon. Over and out!



No comments:

Post a Comment