Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Trip to PEI: Day 1

Hey everyone! Yet again, it's been months since I've blogged. I'm so sorry! This summer I've been busy hanging out with friends, working on projects and trying new things. Things began to slow down last week, so Skye decided to take us to...

PEI, or Prince Edward Island!

Prince Edward Island is in Canada, and is the smallest province. There are SO many beaches, all of which are SUPER awesome! We drove all day on Tuesday and arrived later that evening. We were camping at the national park in Cavendish. Our campsite was right next to the water!

 When I woke up the next day, I put my bathing suit on and ran straight to the beach. After walking along a little ways, I got to an area full of these deep red rocks.

 And when I say full, I mean FULL.

I sat down and began inspecting these brightly colored rocks. They looked just like bricks!

Ahead of me on the beach were some amazing dunes, and you could see around the curve of the island and the beet red sand on the cliffs.

On some of the beaches, the sand is the same color as these rocks or redder. That's because it has high levels of iron that's been oxidized. In other words, it's rusty!

These rocks were almost like sandstone. I could break them in half with my bare hands! I felt like The Hulk.

I was looking for flat rocks in particular, which there were plenty of. I was going to try my hand at skipping stones.

I carefully lined up my shot, and with a flick of my wrist...

...it landed in the water with a sploosh. I tried it a few more times before giving up. I got one of them to skip three times, but that was the best I ever did.

By this point it was about 10:30 in the morning, and it was already starting to get pretty hot. I moseyed over to a little pool and waded in. 

To my surprise, it wasn't cold at all!

After acclimating my legs a little to the water in the tidal pool, I decided I'd take a dip in the ocean. Bracing myself, I ran towards the waves...

...and was shocked to find that it felt like a bathtub! Back home in Maine, at Popham Beach, the water is freezing, and feels like ice. The water at PEI was more like lake water (except for the fact that it was really salty)!

We spent our entire first day on the beach. As the sun began to set, others gathered to watch. I had never seen such a beautiful sunset in my life! 

The colors were so intense, and the sun itself seemed ginormous! The clouds were really cool shapes too, and seemed to absorb the color.

After the sun had set, we went back to the tent and got ready for bed. We stayed up playing cards and reading, until we finally went to sleep, listening to the waves crash on the beach right outside our tent.

My first day on Prince Edward Island was awesome! It felt good to relax and play on a new beach away from home. Stay tuned to hear about what I did on day 2!
This has been Dani, dabbling on PEI. Over and out!


No comments:

Post a Comment