Friday, August 23, 2013

My Last Day in Michigan!

Hi there internet friends! Last Thursday (the 15th of August) was my last day to do stuff in Michigan, as we were leaving in the morning on Friday. I hadn't really gotten a chance to go to a good beach to look for Petoskey stones, so we set out on a hunt for the awesome little fossils.

While walking along the beach, I noticed there were many spots just chock full of these little shells.

All the white in this photo are the little shells! There were piles and piles of them lining the shore!

After some walking with a little bit of luck, we came to this big pile of rocks. I was just sure I would be able to find something in there! I climbed up a little higher to search.

I found a comfortable enough spot among the rocks and began looking for some special rocks.

A few minutes later, a girl came over and sat a few feet away from me. I waved at her and said hello.

I invited her to come search with me. While we were looking, we talked a little bit. Her name was Charlotte, and it turns out she was visiting from Germany! 

We looked for nearly a half hour before one of us found something.

I found quite a few of these odd rocks. I began calling them "moon rocks", because they had so many little craters!

Charlotte found this nice Petoskey stone! It's a little hard to see the pattern, but once it's polished it will be easier to see.

I found this cool rock with a honey comb-like pattern! It wasn't exactly a Petoskey stone, but it was definitely a fossil!

I shared half of my sandwich and some grapes with Charlotte for lunch. Before I knew it, we both had to get going! We said goodbye and exchanged numbers; maybe I'll call her sometime! As I walked back along the beach to the car, I took one last, long look at Lake Michigan.

It was so beautiful! I never wanted to leave.

I'm going to miss all the people and places in Michigan SO much!! Those two weeks were the best of my life. I hope I'll get to go back someday! Have you gone anywhere special this summer? If so, where? If not, what have you done for fun?
This has been Dani, dabbling in Michigan. Over and out!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Dani!

    Zoe and I have really enjoyed reading all of your Michigan posts - this one most of all. Your pictures are gorgeous and so are the rocks and fossils you found! And it's so neat that you made a new friend, especially one with the name Charlotte! We're glad you had such a great time in Michigan, though it stinks that summer's so close to being over already.

    Hope to see you guys soon!

    - Charlotte & Zoe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte! Hi Zoe!

      Thank you so much! It really means a lot to me that you like to read about all my adventures. I certainly like sharing them! I thought it was cool that my friend's name was Charlotte, too, only it was pronounced a little differently. While the American pronunciation is "shar-lot", she was German, so she pronounced it like "shar-lohttuh"! I thought that was really cool. I'm kind of sad summer's coming to an end too, but the coming seasons are going to be great, too--I can feel it!
      Thank you for commenting! :)

      Delete